Class 318 Incidents And Facts
Welcome to scot-rail.co.uk, Scotland's online railway community. The group is for any rail enthusiast interested in the railways and trains of Scotland. It not only consists of the wiki that you're reading now, but a busy online forum and mailing list, which is accessible to anyone who registers. If you would like to join in, all you have to do is register with us for free.
A few items about the Class 318
- 318250 was the only unit to carry the SC next to its vehichle numbers (SC77260/SC62866/SC77240). This was removed during its relivery at Glasgow Works. Not long after introduction spent about 7 months lying out of service at Shields.
- 318251 has visited Hunslet Barclay more than any other member of the Class, having been the test unit for relivery on 3 occaisions
- 318252 was involved in a collision at Townhead with a DMU, not long after introduction. When it returned it was restricted to 75mph for 4 months.
- 318254 demolished Largs station on 11/07/95, when breaks failed. 77244 had to have its cab rebuilt at Derby. 318262 was undamaged which was on the rear.
- 318254 was also involved in a derailment on the points, outside the SECC while operating the 08+32 ecs from SECC to Anderson on 03/09/07. The rear coach ended up on it side.
- 318255 was the unit involved in the derailment at Glasgow Central on xx/07/19xx while forming the 1900 service to Ayr. 77265 ended up at 45 degrees. 318270 had been detached in platform 8 due to a fault, or more coaches may have been derailed.
- 318259/318264 had a minor collision on the Largs branch, after being split at West Kilbride due to a brake fault xx/07/xx.
- 318270/318264 were in collision with 156504 at Shields Junction on xx/12/xx. Vehicle 77288 had to have severe damage to its side, which were repaired at Glasgow Works. 318264 only had superficial damage.
- 318270 was also in another collision, this time with 318263. 318270 received minor damage to 77289, however 77273 had to go to Derby for repairs, as the cab was wrecked.
- 318266 received fire damage while stabled next to 303038 at Shields Depot on 27/05/91. 303038's transformer exploded damaging the depot and vehicles 62882/77256.
- During the time of 318270 receiving repairs, numerous hybirds were made up to keep the units running, due to several vehicles being out of use for a few months. As vehicles returned to service, further hybirds were made up, until all could be reunited into original formats.