Review of 2012
Welcome to scot-rail.co.uk, Scotland's online railway community. The group is for any rail enthusiast interested in the railways and trains of Scotland. It not only consists of the wiki that you're reading now, but a busy online forum and mailing list, which is accessible to anyone who registers. If you would like to join in, all you have to do is register with us for free.
A review of 2012, written as it happens. It consists mainly of unusual and interesting workings and events, regular trains aren't listed. Railtours are listed on this page: Railtours 2012.
Change to 5Z61 path.
- Convoy! 37194 + 66429 + 66424 0Z66 Grangemouth - Kingmoor.
Snow Plough Loco swap
- 57304 on 5N10 Polmadie CHS - Glasgow Works.
- Kilmarnock snow plough move 7Z57
- Diversions via Stepps, Springburn and Croy: 6A32, 4M16, 4D47, 6D84.
- 6S36 Dalston - Grangemouth via GSW, City Union and E&G
- 6S45 via the E&G: Falkirk Grahamston, Carmuirs, Croy, Cadder.
66736 on 6S45 » GBRf 66736 on the 6S45 09:02 North Blyth - Fort William Alcan tanks diversion via the E&G, leaving Cadder down loop on time. Photo by sablemdetrossa
- 47760 & 37175 on 5Z47 Bo'ness GF - Craigentinny.
37175 & 47760 on the E&G » 47760 with 37175 & four SRPS coaches in tow head across Almond Viaduct approaching Linlithgow, on the way to Craigentinny for tyre turning. Sunday 15th January 2012 Photo by MacRat
- New Measurement Train HST 43013+43014 on Derby RTC - Glasgow Central – Crewe.
- 37603 + 37602 T&T on 3Q12, Derby RTC to Mossend.
- Class 70s return to Scotland, starting with 70005.
- DRS liveried 66413 on the Freightliner 6G05 Ravenstruther – Longannet.
- 0Z67 INVERNSYD to ELGIN YD.
- 5Z47 47760 + 37175 Craigentinny – Bo'ness.
- New Measurement Train HST 43013+43014 1Q12 Heaton - Heaton via Aberdeen.
- 2Q88 DRS 37059 + 37606 with Track Inspection Coach.
37059 & 37606 on the 2Q88 » DRS 37059 & 37606 & Track Inspection Coach on the 2Q88 06:22 Craigentinny - Mossend photographed at platform 3 of Glasgow Central Station. 11:31 on 24/01/2012. Photo by sablemdetrossa
- UTU4 Ultrasonic test train.
- Scotrail Sleeper diversion 1B01 Fort William to Edinburgh via Glasgow Central LL and Shotts, due to engeineering work at Cowlairs.
- CAMPAIGNERS are urging ministers to add 12 new stations to Scotland's rail network.
- EGIP and Maryhill Station.
- Kilmarnock snow plough move 7Z57
- 334020 to Kilmarnock plus associated moves, Virgin 57304 on this.
Change to 5Z61 path.
57304 Gordon Tracy » Virgin 57304 Gordon Tracy on the 5Z61 12:00 Polmadie - Boness SRPS passing through Stepps Station. Saturday 4th February 2012 at 12:25. Photo by sablemdetrossa
- Freightliner 90046 derailment at Bletchley. More details. Evening London – Scotland sleepers cancelled.
- 20303 + 37069 on 6M22.
37069 & 218 depart Prestonpans with 2Q88 for Slateford. » 37069 & 218 depart Prestonpans with 2Q88 for Slateford. Photo by gazhamilton
- Royal skips 67005 and 67006 0T85 Tyne Yard – Millerhill.
- Engineers: Garnqueen Jn - Sighthill, Gartsherrie Jn - Cumbernauld.
- NMT HST 43013+43014 on 1Q24 Heaton CS – Glasgow Queen Street – Derby RTC.
- Ultrasonic Test Unit (UTU3) 31602 + Genny van + UTU test car 999602 + DBSO.
- Kilmarnock snow plough move 7Z57
- 5Z70 57304 taking 318270 to Wabtec for repairs.
5Z70 near Pollokshaws West Station » 57304 Heads for Kilmarnock From Shields Depot on 5Z70 Unit Transit for repair movement. The Unit in question being 318270 with roof damage above driving Cab, which is at the end nearest the last Barrier wagon Photo by JimGillies
- Engineers: Hexham, Drem, Dalmeny Jn, Clunybridge, Thornton South Jn.
- Trains for Scotland 'should be Scottish owned' call
- Colas 47749 6Z47 Carlisle - Kilmarnock.
- 66141 on 6T01 Dyce Raith Farm - Carlisle engineers.
6T01 » A Smokey 66141 passing Plean with the 6T01 Dyce RF - Carlisle Engineers train. Photo by jas37017
- 31602 + 37261 on Mentor 1Q18.
- NMT HST 1Q26 Derby RTC to Glasgow Central.
- NMT HST 1Q26 Falkland Yard to Crewe.
- 37261 & 31602 on 5Z18 Mossend to Derby.
5Z18 at Prestonpans » 37261 leading Mentor & 31602 on 5Z18 09.35 Mossend DY to Derby RTC passing Prestonpans on 17/02/2012 Photo by PIERSHILL2001
- 37667 & 37688 T&T on 6Z31 Dundee Yd - Aberdeen - Elgin - Inverness snow clearing train.
- Engineers: Garnqueen - Sighthill, Gartsherrie - Cumbernauld, Thornton Junction, details, times and more times. Also, track renewals on Ardrossan Harbour branch, details.
6K43 » 66111 - 6K43 Mossend - Sighthill Junc with 10 JJA autoballaster wagons passing Fauldhouse 12:31 19/2/2012 Photo by DEREKO
- 31602 + UTU4 + DBSO 9714 on 3Q15 Carlisle - Mossend.
- 180103 in First Great Western livery on 5Z56 Kilmarnock - Old Oak Common.
180103 at Prestonpans » First Great Western 180103 on 5Z56 07.16 Kilmarnock Barclay sidings to Old Oak Common passing through Prestonpans on 21/02/2012 in the morning sunshine. Photo by PIERSHILL2001
- 3Q49 Mossend - Millerhill.
Wednesday Torness Flasks » 57007 + 57009 on the 06.42 Carlisle to Torness power Stn between Niddrie West Jct & Niddrie South Jct on 22-02-2012 Photo by PIERSHILL2001
- 37682 hauling 37688 and 37667 0Z50 Inverness to Carlisle.
- Station closures not ruled out for Glasgow.
- Model Rail SECC Glasgow.
- Engineering trains for Garnqueen - Sighthill, Gartsherrie - Greenhill Lower, Thornton Junction, Dubbs Junction.
- Rail drop trains.
- NMT HST 43014 & 43062 on 1Q26 Derby - Glasgow Central - Edinburgh - Inverness - Craigentinny.
- ScotRail to start wi-fi trials on the E&G.
- 2Q88 Inverness - Thurso.
- Engineers and Rail drops Garnqueen - Sighthill, Gartsherrie - Greenhill Lower, Thornton Junction, Dubbs Junction.
6K05 » 66111 - 6K05 Bridge of Orchy - Carlisle rail drop train with a very unusual wagon on the rear seen here passing float bridge 04/03/2012 @ 12:43 Photo by DEREKO
- NMT HST 43013 & 43062 on 1Q47 Heaton to Derby via Glasgow Queen Street.
- 37667 on 2Q88 Aberdeen to Millerhill.
- 37682 on 0Z37 Carlisle - Grangemouth.
- 37682 0Z37 07:10 Grangemouth - Inverness.
- 31106 on 0Z31 Derby - Millerhill.
- Alcan Lynemouth smelter closure confirmed closure confirmed.
- Highland Council wants Dounreay 'exotics' moved by rail.
- NMT HST 43062 + 43013 on 1Q26 Derby - Glasgow Central - Craigentinny.
- 37261 on 3Q01 Mossend to Mossend.
- 37261 on 3Q45 Mossend to Aberdeen - Edinburgh.
- 37261 on 3Q16 Mossend to inverness.
- Ayrshire / G+SW engineers.
- West Highland engineers.
- Ultrasonic Test Unit UTU2.
37688 on 6K20 » DRS 37688 & 5 loaded JJA autoballasters on the 6K20 08:30 Mossend - Fort William passing through Springburn Station. Monday 19th March 2012 at 09:07 Photo by sablemdetrossa
SRPS stock at Slateford » 66111 hauls SRPS ecs on its way to Southall on a brilliantly sunny 20 March 2012 (contrasting with the local weather for the Auld Reekie Tour four days later. Photo by Castlerahan
- 37059 does 6K21.
- 37610 & 37605 on 1Q18 Derby R.T.C.(Network Rail) to Falkland S.S.
- 37667 + genny coach + UTU3 test car 999602 + DBSO on 3Z02 DERBY RTC - CSLEHWAPP - MOSSND DY.
- 66733 on 6Z66 Lackenby B.S.C. to Deanside.
6Z66 » 66733 on 6Z66 08.00 Lackenby B.S.C. to Deanside approaching Prestonpans on 04/03/2012 Photo by PIERSHILL2001
- 37667 + genny coach + UTU3 test car 999602 + DBSO on 3Q37 Mossend - Rannoch - Mossend.
- NMT 43013 & 43062 on 1Q01 Heaton - Glasgow Queen Street - Derby.
- NMT 43013 & 43062 on 1Q12 Heaton - Aberdeen - Heaton.
- Weekend engineers.
- 66850 on 0Z71/0Z72 Route Learner for Colas Tank Traffic.
- 66850 on 0Z73/0Z74 Motherwell TMD - Ayr - Carlisle. 0Z74 failed in Abington loop. 57307 to the rescue Polmadie - Beattock Summit - Carlisle - Polmadie.
- NMT 43013 & 43062 on 1Q26 Derby - Glasgow Central - Derby.
- Weekend engineers.
6k36 » 66155 - 6K36 Mossend DY - Lockerbie passing float south of carstairs 21/04/2012 @ 17:51 Photo by DEREKO
- 66108 on 5Z22 03:35 Southall - Bo'ness.
- 37069 on 4Z75 Ripple Lane - Grangemouth.
- 37194 & 37667 on the 0S82 Kingmoor - Coatbridge and 4M82 Coatbridge - Daventry.
4M82 24th April 2012 » 37194 and 37667 struggle south through Carluke Station with a well loaded 4M82 today. Photo by 61600
- Landslide at Slochd. The estimate for normal work resuming is the beginning of service on Wednesday 2nd May according to Scotrail. 4Z47 diversion via Aberdeen and 4Z47 onto Inverness.
- Engineers: Ladybank, Walnut Grove, Dalmeny - Winchburgh, Lanark Jn - Lanark station, Bishopbriggs - Queen St station area Rail drop.
- 66847 on 0Z47 Carlisle - Stirling.
- Start of Colas Operated 6Z46/6Z47 Grangemouth to Prestwick Tanks.
- 37676 & 4 x Mk1's on 5Z97/5Z98 Bo'ness - Perth 'Railwayman' filming.
WCR 37676 Loch Rannoch » Perth Station filming The Railway Man ~ Tuesday 1st May 2012. Photo by alaskamike
- 1Q28 NMT HST Heaton(?) - Kilmarnock.
- 57307 + 4x tanks on 6Z51 and 6Z52 Glasgow Works - Kilmarnock.
- Start of Colas Operated Linkswood Tanks, 0Z46/6Z46 and 6Z47.
COLAS 66847 » COLAS 66847 6Z47 Linkswood to Grangemouth passing Hallglen, nr Falkirk High 2nd May 2012 Photo by 91125BOT
- 67025 on 5Z22 Southall - Bo'ness ECS.
- 2nd day of Colas Operated 6Z46/6Z47 Grangemouth to Prestwick Tanks.
- Engineers: Walnut Grove, Lanark, Rossie Viaduct, Abington, Longbedholm, Winchburgh tunnel, Glenburnie, Bridgend footbridge.
- Royal train with royal skips 67026 & 67006 to Edinburgh.
- NMT HST 43013 & 43062 1Q24 Heaton - Glasgow Queen Street - Derby.
- 37688 3Z15 Carlisle - Falkland Yard.
- 6B32 derailed at Craiginches, south of Aberdeen: Overturned tank wagon blocking up and down lines and a signal post demolished.
- New path for 6Z47 Linkswood Tanks.
- 66126 on breakdown crane 1Z99 Carnforth D&U.G.L. to Aberdeen. (Terminated at Mossend.)
- Colas 47739 'Robin of Templecombe' on 5Z47 Doncaster West Yard to Kilmarnock.
- NMT HST 1Q26 Derby RTC to Falkland.
- Colas 47739 'Robin of Templecombe' on the 6Z47 Prestwick - Grangemouth Tanks.
- DRS 66426 on the 0Z26/4Z26/4Z27 Grangemouth - Motherwell - Kilmarnock (Barclay Sdgs) - Grangemouth.
- Triple header 37194, Red Shed 66097 and 66100 on the 6s36 Dalston - Grangemouth tanks.
6S36 » DRS 37194,66097 and 66100 with 6s36 Dalston - Grangemouth tanks seen here passing Cartland on a very overcast saturday 19/5/2012 @ 12:29. Photo by DEREKO
- Colas 47739 on the 5Z44 Kilmarnock to Doncaster.
- Colas 66847 fails in Irvine area, on the 6z46 Grangemouth - Prestwick tanks. Virgin Trains 57307 stands in.
- Virgin Trains 57307 stands in for Colas 66847 on the 6Z47 Prestwick - Grangemouth tanks.
- 20301 & 20305 on the 6S43 and 6M50.
- 37 + load 2 + DBSO Ultrasonic Test Unit Ultrasonic Test Unit (UTU4).
- NMT HST 43013 & 43014 on 1Q26 Derby - Glasgow Central - Craigentinny.
- 37194 on 6Z49 Carlisle - Hamilton - Carlisle.
- NMT HST 43013 & 43014 on 1Q26 Craigentinny - Crewe.
- NMT HST 43013 & 43014 on 1Q47 Heaton - Glasgow Queen Street - Heaton.
66847 at Dalmeny » 66847 on 6Z83 14.48 Linkswood to Grangemouth passing Dalmeny just after 17047? left Plat 2 on 06/06/2012 Photo by PIERSHILL2001
- 37261 + genny coach + UTU test car 999606 + DBSO Ultrasonic Test Unit Ultrasonic Test Unit (UTU4).
- GBRf 66732 & 4 TTA tanks on 6Z51 Bridgeton - Glasgow Works - Kilmarnock etc.
66732 on 6Z52 » 66732 on 6z52 Crosses the WCML in Glasgow on its way from Bridgeston Yard to Brodies @ Kilmarnock unit Transfer Move Photo by JimGillies
- GBRf 66732 & 4 TTA tanks on 6Z55 Polmadie - Kilmarnock - Glasgow Works etc.
- NMT HST 43014 & 43062 on 1Q26 Derby RTC - Glasgow Central.
- Coal trains vastly reduced over the next couple of weeks. Scottish Power's Longannet coal-fired power plant is undergoing annual maintenance and a 20 million pound upgrade.
- 66847 on 0Z66 SAK Route learner.
- NMT HST 43014 & 43062 1Q37 Heaton - Carlisle - Kilmarnock - Crewe.
- 67028 + 67029 on 1Z05 DBS company train.
- 56312 on 5Z56 Crewe - Kilmarnock.
- NMT HST 43014 & 43062 1Q26 Derby - Falkland.
- New path for 6Z83 Linkswood to Grangemouth via Alloa.
- Derailment of GBRf 66734 on 6S45 due to landslide at Tulloch on the WHL. RAF rescue for the derailed train driver.
66734 The Eco Express » 66734 The Eco Express lies down the embankment at the edge of Loch Treig after being derailed by a landslide south of Tulloch on The West Highland Line. Photo by John_Gray
- Highland and lowland sleepers to London cancelled due to flooding and landslides affecting both the WCML and ECML.
- 66002 on 6K55 Mossend - Dyce rail drop train and return.
- 66736 on 0Z99 Bridgeton Yard - Tulloch to take undamaged Alumina tanks to Crianlarich Yard.
- 66103 & 75 ton crane and vans on 1Z99 Bescot - Carlisle N.Y. and 1Z99 Carlisle N.Y. to Mossend Down Yard.
- 66103 on 0Z99 Mossend to Corrour (to deal with damaged tank wagons).
- Derailed 66734 written off today.
- The start of the Georgemas Nukes - 37602 & 37605 on 6S99 Sellafield B.N.F. to Georgemas Junction C.E. and return 6M98.
37 602 6S99 Carlisle - Georgemas Junction » 37 602 leaving Brora on Far North Line 05/07/2012 with trial flask run to Georgemas loading terminal. Photo by Riverman2903
- 43014 & 43062 on 1Q01 Heaton - Glasgow Queen Street - Derby.
- Derailed Alumina wagons at Tulloch re-railed and moved to Corrour siding.
- 37419 + saloon on 2Z02 Berwick Upon Tweed to Carlisle.
- 6S45 starts running again after WHL line re-opens. 66736 does the honours.
- 37682 takes failed 66103 from Bridge Of Orchy back to Mossend on 0Z66.
- 66719 'Metro-land' on 6Z51 Kilmarnock 334 moves.
- 66734 now wrapped up in tarpaulin.
66734 - New WHL Tourist Attraction! » Took this photo yesterday from afternoon Scotrail train to Photo by colin
- 66719 'Metro-land' on 6Z54 Kilmarnock 334 moves.
- NMT HST 43014 & 43062 on 1Q26 Derby - Glasgow Central - Crewe.
- NMT HST 43014 & 43062 on 1Q12 Heaton - Aberdeen - Heaton.
- Unbranded Arriva 57314 on 5D15 etc.
- 67026 on the 1Z63 Royal train sneaking around Scotland.
- SRPS Diesel Gala.
- NMT HST 43013 & 43062 on 5Z23 Heaton - Craigentinny - Heaton.
- NMT HST 43013 & 43062 on 1Q24 Heaton - Glasgow Queen Street - Derby.
- 66733 on 6Z51 etc Kilmarnock - Yoker 334 moves.
- 97304 & 37688's tour of Scotland - Ultrasonic Test Unit 1 3Q15 etc.
97304 Prestwick » 97304 passes Prestwick with 3Q15 Carlisle to Mossend, 37688 is on the rear. Photo by KPWares
- NMT HST 43013 & 43062 on 1Q26 NMT Derby - Glasgow Central - Falkland.
- 37423 & 37602 on the 6S99 Carlisle Kingmoor - Georgemas and return.
- 66138 on the first 6G25 Falkland - Earlseat blending coal.
- 20314 & 20311 on the 5Z20 Kilmarnock to Laira stock move.
20314 & 20311 Kilmarnock » 20314 & 20311 pass through Kilmarnock on 5Z20 Kilmarnock to Laira stock Photo by KPWares
- NMT HST 43013 & 43014 on 1Q26 NMT Derby - Glasgow Central.
- 37667 & 37194 on 1Q14 Radio Survey Crewe - Edinburgh - Derby.
- 37667 & 37194 on 1Q13 Radio Survey Doncaster - Edinburgh - Heaton.
- 57314 on the 6Z52 Glasgow Works - Yoker - Kilmarnock 334 move.
- NMT HST 43013 & 43014 on 1Q26 NMT Derby - Glasgow Central - Falkland.
- 37423 on the 4Z26 Carlisle Kingmoor - Motherwell - Kilmarnock.
- Ex Arriva liveried 57315 on the first of 0T61 Polmadie - Grangemouth Jnct and 0T62 Grangemouth Jnct - Mossend etc route learners, operated by Virgin West Coast.
- 67029 & 67026 on 1Q18 Crewe C.S. to Falkland S.S.
- NMT HST 43013 & 43014 on 1Q01 NMT Heaton - Glasgow Queen Street - Derby RTC.
- NMT HST 43013 & 43014 on 1Q12 Heaton - Aberdeen - Heaton.
- Voyager derailment at Inverkeilor in Angus: The 08:04 CrossCountry service from Edinburgh to Aberdeen came off the tracks at about 09:45.
- 37229 on the 3Q16 Mossend - Inverness and 3Q15 Inverness - Mossend UTU1.
- DRS class 66s do the 4Z40/41 Coatbridge - Blackford Highland Spring trials this week.
66432 on the 4Z41 Blackford - Coatbridge Highland Spring trial » DRS 66432 and Russells container wagons on the 4Z41 11:35 Blackford - Coatbridge Highland Spring trial, passing through Lenzie Station on the E&G Photo by sablemdetrossa
- 6X88 caped at Inverness due to Wheelflats on red shed 66101.
- DRS 37606 0Z37 Carlisle - Inverness tractor for snow plough.
- NMT HST 43014 & 43062 on 1Q47 via Glasgow Queen Street.
- DRS 37685 0Z36 Bo'ness - Inverness tractor for snow plough.
- DRS 37602 & 37609 T&T on the 6S99 Carlisle - Georgemas Junction.
37602/609 with 6S99 for George siding. » 37602/609 arrive at Larbert with 6S99 for George siding. Photo by gazhamilton
- DRS 37419 and 37606 do the 5S25 Sleeper ECS this week.
- DRS 37419 (for ETH) helps 67007 on the Inverness - Perth portion of 1M16 Sleeper.