Review of 2010
Welcome to scot-rail.co.uk, Scotland's online railway community. The group is for any rail enthusiast interested in the railways and trains of Scotland. It not only consists of the wiki that you're reading now, but a busy online forum and mailing list, which is accessible to anyone who registers. If you would like to join in, all you have to do is register with us for free.
Operations and Services
Timetable Change on Sunday 23rd May
The new timetable starting on Sunday 12th December
- Edinburgh - Helensburgh via Bathgate, begun as an hourly service.
- DB Schenker take over Stobart Rail trains from DRS
Rolling Stock Maintenance
Railcare, Glasgow Works
- Glasgow Works:Report for 2010
- ((Class 156 Saltire Relivery |Repainting of the ex-SPT 156s)) in blue 'Saltire' livery is complete (none remain in Carmine & Cream)
- The eight Class 158 'borrowed' from Northern Rail are painted in the Saltire livery in the Autumn (including the 5 in Silver Alphaline livery).
- Grand Central Class 180s
Brush Barclay, Kilmarnock
- Hull Trains Class 180s
- Grand Central HSTs
Rolling Stock and Unusual Workings
- East Coast
Two Class 91s are soon repainted into the new livery, 91107 which first appeared in Scotland on 04/09/10 with matching set BN02, followed by 91101 working to Glasgow on 29/09/10.
On 13/02/2010 a driver training trip sees 66728 hauling 2 x class 325 from Polmadie to Fort William, returning the following day.
Network Rail Test TrainsOperated by DB Schenker rather than Serco, but still featuring Class 31s
The Royal Scotsman
- 47786 dominates the The Royal Scotsman programme. 37676 is the usually 2nd loco for the Western tours, and hauled a trip to Oban in at the end of June.
- In July, the Great Britain tour is the first for many years to run South across the border.
- A shooting tour at the end of October visits Georgmas Junction.
- Diagrams:The Royal Scotsman 2010
Main Line Steam highlights:
- The Airdrie - Bathgate rail link opens on schedule, although Armadale, Caldercruix and Drumgelloch stations have not been completed due to adverse weather
- Glasgow Central new platforms 12 and 13 open.
- The Montrose North to Usan resignalling scheme was finally commissioned on 1st February. Signal Boxes at Monstrose South and Usan were closed, most of the signals are colour light LED type, although the Down direction signals at the north end are semaphores. Signalling diagram.
- At Larbert North, the Down direction Semaphore signals on the main line were removed. LN6 was replaced by a new LED signal at the end of the platform on Monday 5th July. LN7 had been removed on 6th June, but LN56 (exit signal from the Down Goods Loop), on the same structure remained, and is now the only semaphore left in the Larbert area.
- More stations get the 'Saltire' Branding, some now with gaelic name boards.
Other events and news
- RMT call strikes against extension of DOO on the new Airdrie - Bathgate - Edinburgh route.
Weather related problems
- Locos on snow plough patrol duties:
- 4th January - Inverness - Mossend derails at Carrbridge. The locomotive 66048 is not recovered until 14th February.
- 6th June - 18:20 Glasgow Queen St - Oban train (156499) derails near Falls of Cruachan, fortunatley with no serious injuries. Recovery of 156499 by crane takes place on 11th June, with car 52499 taken to Glasgow Works on a lorry, and 57499 hauled there by 37676.
Bo'ness / SRPSRegular Passenger trains from Bo'ness now extended to Manuel
Strathspey RailwayNo. 828 restored to Caledonian Railway livery and returned to service.
Royal Deeside RailwaySteam hauled services commence with the arrival of "Bon Accord".
'Review of 2010' message thread