Welcome to scot-rail.co.uk, Scotland's online railway community. The group is for any rail enthusiast interested in the railways and trains of Scotland. It not only consists of the wiki that you're reading now, but a busy online forum and mailing list, which is accessible to anyone who registers. If you would like to join in, all you have to do is register with us for free.
IntroductionScotRail operate a fleet of 48 Class 156 "Super Sprinters". 33 are saltire and 15 are barbie.
The fleet was originally split between SPT sponsored services and other ScotRail services. As such, twenty eight of them were in SPT Carmine and Cream livery, and twenty in First ScotRail blue livery. With the transfer of SPT's rail powers to Transport Scotland and the rebranding of the ScotRail franchise to a unified livery, the entire fleet of twenty eight Carmine and Cream 156s was repainted into the new ScotRail saltire livery.
156 506 » Glasgow Central 08.09.2010 1118 to East Kilbride Photo by Martin_Baumann
RETBFifteen of the 'blue' units are fitted with RETB equipment for working on the West Highland Line. These are 156447 156450 156453 156456 156457 156458 156465 156467 156474 156476, 156485, 156493 & 156499. 156462 & 496 got it removed lately.
In early 2014 two 'SPT' units numbered 156445 and 156500 were fitted with the equipment.
Unit 156478 also had RETB equipment removed during 2015, but may be re-fitted following the completion of refurbishment. In October 2016, 156478 returned to service. The unit is now owned by Brodies, Kilmarnock.
FSR RefurbishmentThe ScotRail 156s went through a refurbishment programme at Derby Works with 156450 being the first to get the treatment, returning in February 2007. The refurbishment programme was completed in November 2007.
RoutesClass 156s currently operate the following routes:
- Glasgow Queen Street - Oban/Fort William/Mallaig (RETB fitted units only)
- Glasgow Queen Street/Edinburgh - Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa (shared with 158s/170s)
- Glasgow Queen Street - Falkirk Grahamston (shared with the 158s/170s)
- Glasgow Queen Street - Maryhill - Anniesland (shared with 158s/170s)
- Edinburgh - West Calder - Shotts - Glasgow Central (shared with 158s)
- Edinburgh - Carstairs - Motherwell - Glasgow Central (Shared with 380s)
- Fife Circle (More commonly covered by 158s/170s)
- Glasgow Central - East Kilbride
- Glasgow Central - Barrhead
- Glasgow Central - Kilmarnock
- Glasgow Central - Dumfries - Carlisle / Newcastle
- Glasgow Central - Stranraer
- Stranraer / Girvan / Ayr - Kilmarnock / Newcastle
- Glasgow Central/Edinburgh Waverley - North Berwick/Dunbar (more commonly covered by Class 158/Class 170)
- Edinburgh Waverley/Glasgow Queen Street - Perth/Dundee (more commonly covered by class 158/class 170)
Internal LinksClass 156 Formations
Class 156 Diagrams SX
Class 156 Diagrams Weekend
Class 156 Saltire Relivery
Ex Scotrail 156s
Class 156 SPT Livery
Class 156 FSR Repaint 06
Class 156 FSR Refurbishment 07
Class 156 FSR Refurbishment 2011-2014
Class 156 Refurbishment 2017-2019